Manipura can be broken down into two words, Mani= gem and Pura=city, it is often referred to as ‘city of jewels’ or ‘lustrous gem’.
On a physical level this Chakra is located around our navel and on an energetic level it is the third Chakra in the Chakra System. It is the seat of our personal power, our ‘get up and go’, our self-esteem and our ability to make things happen. As energy is built on the stabilizing and grounding power of the earth element in Muladhara Chakra, we add the energy from the flow of water in Svadhisthana. These two elements working together allow the transformational power of fire in Manipura to work its magic. Added to this we have consciousness flowing down from the realm of the higher chakras, directing our intentions (more on these Chakras in future posts). Manipura Chakra is our Power Chakra the reality around us radiates from this lustrous gem as transformation takes place. It is from this place we make our intentions real. At times we may feel ‘stuck in a rut’ or a sluggishness or inertia has set in, we may need to focus on this Chakra.
If you find your ‘get up and go’ has got up and gone, please try the following Yoga and Meditation exercises and see if it makes a difference. If you have any success, please let me know in the comments below.
Any exercises that work on our core can be stimulating to our Manipura Chakra. One pose that springs to mind is Navasana also known as Boat Pose. This pose is an advanced pose and not usually a favourite in Yoga classes but it is definitely powerful and works on the Manipura Chakra.
Navasana – Boat Pose
How to do it
- Sit on the floor with legs straight in front of you
- Place your hands on the floor beside your hips
- Lift your chest and extend the front of your spine
- Extend both arms out in front of you parallel to the ground
- Take and inhale and activate your core muscles
- Bend your legs and lift them so that your shins are parallel with the ground, breath here for a few moments (half boat pose)
- If it is available to you, straighten both legs.
- Hold for a few breaths and release.
- Try a couple of times
Have you ever imagined the heat of a glowing, radiant sun to help warm up your body when you are cold? Using your natural creative imagination can be so strong and will actually help to warm you up.
I invite you to try the following simple meditation to work on your Manipura Chakra and increase the energy of the Power Chakra.
Find 5 minutes alone
- Get comfortable – either sitting or lying, close your eyes.
- Start to inhale for the count of 4 and exhale for the count of 4. Feel your body expand as you inhale and soften and release as you exhale.
- Focus on the space behind the navel visualise a large yellow glowing ball of light radiating from this location. Just as the Sun radiates from the sky filling all the corners of earth, imagine this light emanating to all parts of your body, all the way to your fingers and toes. As you inhale, visualise the ball growing brighter and more radiant, filling your body with warmth and energy and then as you exhale see the light contract as you release and soften this area.
- Continue breathing and visualizing in this way for 5min.
If you like this post, please comment below!
Enjoy your power!