Happy Valentines Day beautiful people!
To celebrate we are exploring the Anahata heart chakra, the fourth chakra.
The Sanskrit word ‘Anahata’ means unstruck, this beautiful concept means that beneath all our personal troubles, sadness, heartache, grief and pain there is an underlying wholeness with unlimited love to be found.
The physical position of this Chakra, in the centre of the chest is in the middle of the Chakra System. It is made up of the air element and is placed between the more physical and grounded chakras of elements earth, water and fire and the esoteric chakras of elements sound, light and thought.
The colour associated with the heart chakra is the colour green, formed from the yellow of the soul and the blue of spirit.
When this chakra is in balance we experience a sense of peace and tranquility, on the flip side this chakra is associated with health issues such as Asthma, Coronary disease, lung disease and is associated with the Thymus gland.
On practical level how do we work with Anahata Chakra?
Through Yoga and Meditation we can access this Chakra, there are many asanas (poses) that do this, all backbends such as cobra, camel and wheel help to open this chakra.
Today we will look at Ustrasana (camel pose):
Ustrasana – Camel Pose (A strong intermediate/advanced pose)
Ustra = ‘Camel’ in Sanskrit
- This pose will benefit the circulatory, nervous, endocrine and the respiratory systems, these are all systems connected to the heart chakra.
- This posture, opens up the chest, abdomen and throat and heart which promotes lymph drainage.
- Tones the muscles of the back and spine.
- Helps with forgiveness of others
- Develops compassion towards self and others
- Increases acceptance
I invite you to try the following simple meditation to work on your heart chakra.
Find 5 minutes alone
- Get comfortable – either sitting or lying, close your eyes.
- Start to inhale for the count of 4 and exhale for the count of 4.
- On every inhalation expand the space around your heart, imagining it being bathed in a most beautiful green glowing light; on every exhalation completely soften any tension or tightness around the heart space.
- Continue breathing and visualizing in this way for 5 minutes.
Why this works
Breathing in this way activates the parasympathetic nervous system, which is where healing takes place. When we soften the space around our heart we release resistance and unblock any tight spots, this allows energy to flow more freely. When our heart chakra is open we are more accepting of reality and this reduces our own internal suffering.